Second Week

This week we got what we thought was a letter from Brad, but upon opening it we found a letter from his drill instructor (I call it "the ransom note") along with a pamphlet about graduation.  Boy what a disappointment that was; but with every pitfall there is good news which was it came in an envelope that Brad had actually addressed in his own handwriting (I am finding that you grasp onto every little thing, even an envelope written in his hand), so I finally had an address for him.  I hope sometime soon we get an actual letter from him.

We knew we were going to miss him, but we are both surprised at how much we do.  I guess we are surprised because all the while when you are raising your children your goal is to raise them to be responsible young adults who will move out on their own and start living their lives, but when they really leave it's an odd kind of emptiness. (You give birth to this precious little bundle and it is your job to immediately start caring for and teaching him how to leave you. Now how is that right?)  I'm sure we will do fine, but it is kind of a shock when it happens.

I was advised by a good friend and neighbor years ago when the boys were small to not let my relationship with my husband fall into disarray because one day the children would be gone and we would be left with just one another.  Thankfully I took her advice.

The one thing that we are finding difficult is preparing meals.  When you have prepared meals for your husband and two growing boys for 20 some odd years, whittling it down to meals for two is quite a challenge.  This too I'm sure we will adapt to, but in the meantime there are some meals where there is way too much left over and others where there wasn't enough for both of us.

I am hoping upon hope that we get a letter from him this week.  I know he must be well because otherwise we would have been notified, but it sure would be nice to hear how fine he is doing from him.

Two weeks down, 11 more to go.  Hang in there son!

Comments

Popular Posts