Yesterday?


God blessed Richter and I with two wonderful sons.  We always tried to do right by them and brought them up in a Christian home, taught them right from wrong, and taught them both to have a heart of service.  Where did the time go?  It was just yesterday wasn’t it that I was watching from the kitchen window two little blonde headed boys on the wooden rope swings hanging from the giant oak tree in our side yard?  It was just yesterday wasn’t it when I would have to look down to see those shining green and blue eyes looking up at me?  I was just yesterday, wasn’t it?

Our oldest, who has always been a dreamer,  has been on his own for a couple of years now, finding his way to where he needs to go and to be who he needs to be, contemplating future travels and what life holds for him.  He is an artist who has been working and going to college, and learning the realities of life.    

When our youngest was in grade school, there was always one boy and one girl chosen each year to receive the Good Citizenship award.  From Kindergarten to 6th grade, he is the one who won that award every year.  Now he is in boot camp learning and doing what it takes to earn the title of Marine.  In just a few short weeks from now we will get to see him after his arduous journey into manhood.  Now, that heart of service that he had as a child has transferred to his adult life as he learns to serve his country.

It always amazes me how different they are from each other, yet so much alike.  In the end, they are both small town guys who are off on their own life's journey, who have left their parents' house, but not their parents' hearts.  Both know and accept they are country borne and raised and are quite proud of it for it is that upbringing that makes them who they are.

Oh my! Where did the time go?  Now when I look at my sons, I am no longer looking down into the sparkling eyes of my little boys, but looking up to the faces of men.  Where did yesterday go? ~ Love, Momma Richter

Comments

Popular Posts