MERRY CHRISTMAS



I just read an article about how more people are opting out of Christmas.  Not Christmas in the traditional sense, but Christmas in the secular sense. People are finally saying “no” to the “if you don’t have this” it won’t be a happy Christmas, or if your house doesn’t look like a winter wonderland, you won’t have a good holiday.   Then there is the dreaded feeling of, oh goodness, so and so got me gift and I don’t have anything for her and the societal embarrassment because we didn’t do tit for tat. We all have known for a long time that Christmas has become secularized and seems to be about nothing more than boosting the economy and making sure that businesses have a good year.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe in capitalism, but not at the loss of a sacred holiday. 

For the last couple of years, Richter and I have sort of “opted out” of Christmas.  It just didn’t seem “right” anymore.  We thought maybe it was because the boys were grown and there were no little children around anymore.  Apparently what we are feeling is more prevalent than we thought.  No, we are not denying or opting out of the fact that Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, our Lord and savior, we are opting out of the craziness that has become Christmas.

At our house yesterday Christmas happened, and they were greater gifts than anything a store could ever carry.  The day started off relatively crappy because I had been awake since one in the morning (I really need to get a handle on my insomnia) and needless to say I get a little cranky.  Then, as usual and through osmosis, Richter gets a little cranky.  I still had things to do to get ready for Christmas – the house was a mess, laundry needed to be done, I had to run to town to get a few things – get the picture.  I went into town and got what I needed, and by the time I had gotten home, Richter had been called into work and my son, who was suffering from a hangover from being stupid the night before, was struggling with a chore that his dad had left for him to do.  We got that all out of the way and I started to feel like I was getting back on track (because I did have Christmas to get ready for), when my husband’s best friend stopped by bearing Christmas presents. (Oops! There goes Christmas popping in early!)  After a little while Richter got home from work carrying in a big package from the mail.  He saw it was from his brother, so he rushed to open it.  Inside were holiday sausages (our favorite) and other homemade treasures and a picture of their family (Oops! More Christmas!)  While we trying to get more household chores done, the phone kept ringing and it was long time friends inviting us over for Christmas if we weren’t doing anything because it had been a long time since we had gotten together. (More Christmas again!)  I kept trying to get things done, but Christmas kept popping in.  (As I write this I am reminded of Margaret and Mary and how Jesus scolded Mary for being too much about earthly things, like getting ready for his visit, instead of sitting down and visiting with Jesus).  The phone rang again and it was Richter’s brother and while on the phone with him a neighbor and his grandkids knocked at the door to give us cookies!  We just could not get Christmas to stop happening!!!! 

That’s my point folks, regardless of what we think Christmas is, Christmas is what it is – a gift from God, a gift telling us that we are loved, regardless of what we THINK it looks like, it ends up being what God looks like.  Remember, God’s ways are not our ways.  Merry Christmas to each and every one of you in our lives, you are all loved and treasured beyond measure. (The picture above are the faces of Christmas!)

Love, Momma Richter

Comments

  1. I know what you are saying and yes I am guilty of the mess too. I just try not to get to overboard with it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts