Friendships

This all may sound trite and corny, but whatever.....

While growing up my family moved around a lot, going to a different school each year.  Such moving was not conducive to making or maintaining long lasting friendships.  However, in the end, I have maintained friendships with people from the past that I least expected.  The first one that comes to mind is a boy I knew in grade school and, if the truth be told, he was probably my first love.  It's one of those friendships that has not been constant, nor do we see each other regularly, but we just know that if either one of us needed anything, we would be there for each other. The internet and Facebook can be a good thing!  In fact, amongst my Facebook friends, he is the one on there that I have known the longest.

And recently, through Facebook, I have come to find out that I have more in common with a woman that I knew only slightly back in the 70's than I do with people that I see everyday. And now I call her "friend." Looking back over the years, with eyes that have aged, sometimes you see things more clearly, because definitely things are not nearly as black and white as they used to be.

About three years ago I became friends with a young, intelligent woman who everyone thought I would completely dislike because of her sexual orientation.  Initially I thought it would be a problem, but after Richter reminded me to not let my religion get in the way of my Christianity, things worked out well.  She is as left wing and anti religion as I am a religious conservative, but yet we are friends.  I was told by a third party that she told them I was the only conservative she would ever consider breaking bread with and go to for advice -- and I'm happy to say we have broken bread and shared advice on many occasions.  We each know the others convictions, but despite our differences, we are friends anyway -- we have mutual respect for each other.  (And, just so you know, I think I'm "this close" about changing her mind on Obama! :-)

However, my friendship with Richter has been the most amazing of all.  I love the way he makes me laugh. I despise how mad he can make me.  I am in awe of what a great dad he has been and still is to our sons.  I'm amazed at how really big his heart is. I love you Richter. (Ewwwww, mushy stuff, I know).

I just want to say how grateful I am for the friends I have, both new and old, and that each and everyone one of you are held dear in my heart. ~ Love, Momma Richter

Just wanted to share the video below because it makes me smile, just like my friends.

Comments

Popular Posts